The Human Resources (HR) Manager is responsible for the overall planning, development, administration, policies, and implementation; including, but not limited to the following: employee recruitment, relations, compensation, benefits and training. The position develops and drives HR initiatives and activities.
The HR Manager coaches and works closely with leaders to ensure alignment with CVNL’s goals, values, policies and legal compliance. Due to the nature of our community involvement and clientele, the HR Manager must be someone who thrives in being of service to others, leads with integrity, holds confidentiality, and enjoys working within a dynamic team culture.
This is a full-time exempt position based in either our San Rafael or Santa Rosa office and provides support to staff across multiple offices and throughout the Greater Bay Area. This position has no direct reports.
• Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices.
• Provides assistance to managers and employees in the interpretation and fair application of HR policies and procedures, ensuring compliance is followed.
• Performs benefits administration including vendor management, enrollment, and annual re-evaluation of benefits programs for cost-effectiveness, plan design and compliance.
• Maintains aspects of HRIS platform, including employee information and time and attendance.
• Conducts all internal recruitment efforts.
• Handles the pre-employment screening process, on-boarding, employee orientation and terminations.
• Administers leaves of absence and Workers’ Compensation claims.
• Oversees employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
• Administers the Volunteer Wheels Random Drug Testing Program.
• Maintains Injury & Illness Prevention Plan and other safety documentation, including OSHA tracking and reporting, and communication updates to staff.
• Responsible for Infectious Disease Policy (COVID-19), including staying up to date on regulations, communicating updates to staff, providing training & materials, and being the main point of contact for any COVID related topics.
• Monitors, complies with and reports on Affordable Care Act (ACA).
• Manages the annual performance appraisal process.
• Conducts wage surveys and in conjunction with the CEO, manages compensation changes.
• Promotes a positive organization culture.
• Participates in staff meetings, CVNL’s Finance & HR Managers Peer Learning Network, and training programs.
• Manages HR records and retention schedule.
• Performs other duties as directed, developed or assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of five years of progressive human resources management experience, preferably in the nonprofit sector
• Professional in Human Resources certification desired: PHR, SPHR, or SHRM-CP
• Comprehensive knowledge of federal, California state and local employment laws.
• Proven recruitment success in nonprofit sector.
• Strong consulting, interpersonal, team culture building, and conflict resolution skills.
• Excellent presentation, facilitation and verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail and ability to effectively handle multiple priorities.
• Flexibility, willingness, and ability to work for and with a variety of people.
• Experience with HRIS platforms, ADP a plus.
• Competence in Microsoft Office Suite, as well as on-line talent management systems (i.e. Indeed, Zoho Recruit) and video communication platforms (i.e. Zoom, Teams).
• Valid California driver’s license and ability to travel throughout the Greater Bay Area.
• Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) a plus.
Physical & Travel Demands
• Ability to work occasional nights and weekends to support events/special projects.
• Occasional travel throughout Sonoma, Marin, Napa and Solano counties, occasionally work outside.
• Must have visual acuity; be able to operate a computer and other office equipment; be able to move about inside an office; frequently communicate with others in person, on the phone or via the computer; routinely lift or move items up to 25 lbs.
• Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with differing abilities to perform the essential functions.
• As a condition of employment, new hires must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 on or before the first day of employment (subject to legally mandated exemptions).
Benefits include full health, dental and vision plans for you and your family, including a 100% employer-paid health plan for you, 403b Retirement Plan with 3.5% employer contribution after one year, company-paid $25,000 Life Insurance Policy, and generous vacation, sick, and holiday schedules. We also offer strong professional development opportunities for employees.